DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Four weeks ago I made I conscious decision to become more healthy.

Customer Question

Four weeks ago I made I conscious decision to become more healthy. I had been working 12 hours a day, eating badly, not sleeping and drinking too much alcohol to relax. I have cut alcohol and cafine totally, am eating more healthy meals, working less and exercising regularly. I saw my gp two and a half weeks ago. She reassured me that I was stressed, not an alcoholic (but had become addicted and was experiencing withdrawal) and she prescribed beta blockers. Initially I felt fantastic (all in my mind?), but since have experienced some of the original symptoms. These Include minor murmurs in my right side and lower right chest occasionally, feeling a bit wobbly some times (usually with feeling anxious about nothing), drinking a pint and a half of water in the morning before urinating, then urinating quite strong urine and then normal after I have drunk more water. Is this normal at this time of my recovery?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
After heavy alcohol use [and having been "addicted" to any degree means you do have an alcohol use disorder and alcohol should be avoided for the rest of your life] there is up to 6 months of recovery, just initially.

Digestive upset can be common.

Your doctor needs to have done a good exam and tested the following.
Comprehensive metabolic profile
B vitamin levels
CBC
urinalysis
EKG
Stool for hidden blood.

At a bare minimum in my view.

Alcohol treatment [12 steps etc, or counseling] needs to be done, not just doing it on your own, as indicated.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, but are my symptoms normal for someone In my position. It was me that said I was addicted not the gp. She said that I had een drinking too much but diagnosed stress and prescribed beta blockers. I am fully committed to never drinking again.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
The symptoms can not be considered normal, unless you have had the above workup that I stated.

If you have, then this can be considered possible extended withdrawal.