Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I have a collapsed tendon the tibialis posterior. I think this

Customer Question

I have a collapsed tendon the tibialis posterior. I think this has affected my ankle joint and also this is making my foot swell each day, it has done for the last 4 or 5 years. I have to be careful not to let it go unsupported for long ie. wearing ankle boots or wellies, and in the mornings a brace. The brace cannot be worn with any boots or shoes. The whole situation is defeating me because of the swelling. Is there help out there to cure this please ie. soft tissue treatment or surgery? I am a retired lady but have always been athletic and I cant seem to settle for the NHS take on things which seems to be an ever increasing disability. Thank you in advance-
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Hi there

Still need help?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm not sure what else I can say unless there are one or two questions to me. I'm concerned that my foot will get worse without some surgery, if there is a procedure for this, could this be the case. perhaps the soft tissue was affected 20 years when I sprained the ankle and it seemed to get better without visiting a doctor or perhaps having an x-rays. Comprehensive x-rays now reveal some arthritis, I suppose the tarsals and metatarsals are out of kilter.I have no more medical information on this. In practice I have to ration the time I have on my foot ie. dog walking, shopping, sightseeing -holidays and days out, and have to have a seat nearby. The situation has detiorated rapidly in the last 6 months.

have you had an MRI?

seen a foot specialist?
that is what you need if not

An MRI for sure to characterize the injury better

Then see an ortho foot specialist