Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Hello I had a blood test a week ago, all was normal except

I had a blood test a week ago, all was normal except for the ESR which was 26 and having low vitamin D. The reason for the test due to having hip and shoulder pain due I think to starting to run and my family doctor has ruled out polymyalgia and rheumatiod problems. I have been prescribed vitamin D supplements. Please could you explain what the mildly elevated ESR means and what could cause this? At the time of the blood test I had a cold.
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-

Can you please tell reference range for ESR?
Are you suffering from any medical condition or on any medication ?
Do you suffer from severe emotional stress or anxiety issue?
Do you have any other associated symptoms?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't know what the reference range is except that she said under 20 was normal

I am on oestrodiol for atrophic vaginitis and have been taken ibruprofen 400mgs once daily for the joint aches

I do get stressed

Otherwise I'm in good health

Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information.

Well, a mild elevated ESR doesn't usually need to be concern. It is not related with any serious issue. As you had cold at time of blood test, So it can be from the viral infection and has caused slightly raised ESR. No need to get panic.

Low Vitamin D level can come from a number of conditions. It can be from less production in the skin as inadequate exposure to sun, or thin skin where the production of vitamin D can be less. It can also be less intake in diet. Vitamin D deficiency can cause muscle weakness for which you are feeling tired. Your doctor has rightly started with vitamin D supplements.

Please continue with such supplements. ESR level, should come back to normal after few weeks. Don't get panic.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.