Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Good day, Im a a 26 year old male male suffering with weakness

Customer Question

Good day, I'm a a 26 year old male male suffering with weakness and tired was of the body.. I can barely walk for 10 minutes befor my body starts to pain me and I get a mild fever.. I sit in the house all day because I'm scared it could get worse... A year ago I had breathing problems, chest problems and ear infections and it was hard hard for me to participate in any serious exercise but after that I felt a bit better and I started going to the gym it's just recently that a took a bit of alcohol and ll the sickness is back and I feel like I'm going to die, I have lost a lot of weight... The last time I was in the hospital they heckled me for tv and I was negative.. Pls advice me I'm scared
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Good day to you. I assume you meant you were checked for TB? Can you tell me what other tests were run?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I was checked for TB wen I had the cough and had an X-ray , later on the chest pain left me eventually but recently after I had a bit if alcohol I felt sick had a bad cough for two weeks then I started getting weak... I can barely walk for 20 mins without feeling heavy or my chest pounding... So I just go bak home and lie down
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK but that was a year ago--have you seen a doctor recently for a full check up and tests to see what's going on here?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No I haven't recently cause I've been ok but this time around it has been really bad, I have lost a lot of weight and I'm scared because all the analysis that have been done on me has been negative... I'm very scared it's life threatening an how my parents would react to this..pls what to do you advice and do u have an idea of what mite be affecting me?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK AJ--just a little more information first please. How long has this been going on now and how much weight have you lost over what period of time?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The initial sickness started over a year and a half ago but got better with time .. Anytime I engage in a bit of alcohol or a bit of a smoke I get sick... Even of it's just. A tiny bit... But I've been relatively ok for the past few months and I started exercising gradually but then last month I had gone out with my friends had a bit of alcohol, a very small mount and I started having a cough then it turned to a bit of flu for 2 weeks or and then I had a mild chest pain with palpitation. Now after that is when I started getting weak and could barely walk.. Feeling tired and some times my leg tremble...it is a terrible experience.. As of now wen I stay at home and I don't walk around downstairs or to do groceries I'm ok but any time I walk for bout n hour I feel heavy and tired and I just want to sit down... I have lost at least a quarter of my weight
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK AJ and we can continue after this if you need to. First off, I don't think you're going to die but you need to see a doctor for a full exam and blood work. I can't tell you exactly what the problem is here but I would check you for low thyroid, low cortisol levels, anemia, and I would do a full cardiac workup even though I don't think this is likely a heart problem. At this point I can only tell you my thoughts about what the problem might be but I can't tell you which of those areas I just mentioned might be your problem. See a doctor as soon as you can and get the workup and let me know how it goes for you. And please remember to rate my service to you my friend
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the reply ... It's just that the infections I've been gettin are not natural to me and it' just comes as a shock how it has made me very sick
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I understand but I'm sure once the real problem is found and treated you'll be well--just let me know what happens please
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--why the bad rating? Was there more information you needed?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I'll be glad to continue if you need that
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry I pressesd thee wrong rating button, did u get my last question?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
That's Ok but I didn't get your last question so can you ask it again?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My friend was diagnosed with late stage hiv and tb, after feelin weakness in his body and was not feelin we'll. my question is since late stage hiv is described as aids does he have a chance of living long?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
When was he diagnosed and is he on any treatment?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He was diagnosed 3 days ago,, he's goin through consultation on wat to do next, he seems to be a bit strong but after the diagnosis we feel he has no chance of survival
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Do you know what was meant by late stage HIV? Was he also just diagnosed with TB three days ago?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He was diagnosed with extrapulmonary tb first! And then the doctor told him to take a hiv test 3 days ago which concluded that the tb was an opportunistic infection of the hiv
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK but when was the TB diagnosis made and is that being treated now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes they are deciding on how to balance the two drugs, the antiviral and the antibiotic, it's a very sad situation, pls can you tell me the utmost truth if he has a chance of surviving and living long? Because I was told once diagnosed with aids you have limited time.I would not be able to tell him as it will affect him, thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You replied
14 May 2014 14:42 EST
Edit
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK AJ. All is not lost here. First off, TB can be very effectively treated with proper medication and for most patients it doesn't cause an early death. Secondly, HIV medications these days are very effective in stopping the virus and keeping someone from an early death with that. Of course, since I don't have access to his charts and information, I can only generalize here but his symptoms are probably just from the TB and once that's under control he'll feel much better. There's every reason to believe he can survive for many years if not for a full lifetime here. Let me know how he does and may I ask you to rate this answer as excellent to cancel out your mistakenly rating me poor service before?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello doctor my immune has been compromised a long rime ago, I get coughs and flus when I exercise, also when I consume slight alcohol. 2 months ago I got a bad flu after exercising. It started from a dry cough and now I have extreme weakness in my body, it get a worse when I walk around and I feel heavy in my head and legs when I stand. I have done the blood count test, hiv test, ECG, liver test and all other tests my go thinks may be causing my immune to be compromised, all the tests came out normal and now I'm scared because I don't know what is wrong with me. Please can you advice me on wat to do next,it's been goin on over a year now
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
AJ--that's an entirely different question, this time about you. I'll be glad to discuss it with you but according to the rules of JA you need to post it as a new question on a new page. Just use the link shown above my photo or start the question with "For Dr Chip only" and we can continue
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I have to pay again?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I have to pay again
Expert:  The Physician replied 2 years ago.
hello AJ

Your expert was trying to answer your questions
Yes, the second question is entirely new.
I will give you an insight.
I understand you are scared because of your weak feeling etc and because your friend was recently diagnosed.
Firstly, I would ask you to STOP the comparison.
Your condition is not likely to be similar to your friends.
Firstly, you asked for an honest opinion about your friend ( i assume that is your main question)
your next question is whst next to do about yourself.
In the first question, your friend has a chance now thatthe diagnosis has been made, because there are excellent medications that can be used in cobination to treat both the extrapulmobary Tb and HIV. medical reseach findings show that both these conditions occur together in a lot of persons, and there are now good medications to treat them. So all is not lost. AND it is no longer a death sentence as IT WAS IN THE PAST.
For you, I think if your HIV tests are negative, there are other tests that can be done to asses your immune system. Also tests for Lyme disease and autoimmune disorders that can cause long standing feeling of weakness and fatigue.
So your next stepo should be to go back to your physician to do those tests.
Autoimmune panel
Lyme disease