Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

yesterday i had an endoscoy which showed a pedunculated

yesterday i had an endoscoy which showed a pedunculated polyp at the cardia/GOJ.within a mixed or rolling large hiatus hernia .biopsies were taken for histoloy and i a commenced omeprazole and have been referred for ultra sound scan and a follow up clinic appointment for 2 months time.
whhat is the likelihood of this polyp being cancerous or are polyps usually benihn .if cancerous is surgery the main option. i was too drowsy yesterday to ask questions and can't wait 2 months for answers many thankks
pam
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The chance of this being cancer is very less.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Less than 10 percent.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Even if there is cancer found in the polyp there is a great possibility that it will either be a precancer, or carcinoma in situ or microinvasive cancer in which case usually only removal of the polyp is all that we do.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So I would not worry too much if I were you.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Do rate me for my services when you are done.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Kindest Regards

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.

I would also like to add that the size of the polyp is also something that matters a lot.

Most polyps (approximately 90%) are small, usually less than 1 cm in diameter, and have a small potential for malignancy. The remaining 10% of adenomas are larger than 1 cm and approach a 10% chance of containing invasive cancer

I have answered your question above. Let me know if you have any further questions. Rate me for my services when you are done.
Kindest Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for your prompt answer .the size of the polyp was 15 mm.you have greatly reassured me but but what happens about he lare hiatus hernia .can that be repaired as i think this has a lot to do with my discomfort and mobility

pam willetts

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
Yes hiatus hernia can be repaired easily.
You would have to talk to your surgeon about this.
Hiatus hernia surgery is called as Nissen's fundoplication.
Please do rate me for my services by clicking on one of the smilies below.
Kindest Regards