DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

HI there I have something that came up on my lip - lower lip

HI there
I have something that came up on my lip - lower lip over a few days ago - it was not painful but i fear its a cold sore - is that possible. both partner and I have been tested for stds etc, and he wasnt around when this came up on friday what is it/
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
It is most likely a cold sore.
That is not an STD.
Over 80% of the population has the virus for cold sores.
Most don't break out.
A time of stress can cause you to break out.

You could have had the virus for years and years, most people do.
Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you. But will it come back? my finace was travelling that week so there was no sexual contact. How did it start? it didnt burn or itch. it was like a tint little pimple.

i am really worried that it would come up again and I will give it to him. I have been careful not to do anything that would pass it on. I did put some TCP liquid on it.

We both had sexual testing done about 1 year ago and this didnt come up as an infection. WIll he get it? will it go other parts of our bodies. I am really worried. if not a cold sore what other thing could it be? do I have a disease? is there anyway to get rid of it. I dont want to spead it to anyone Please help

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
It might or might not come back.
He probably already has this virus, and in fact you both probably already had it.
They probably did not test for type one, as almost everyone already has it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

so what is your recommendation? to treat it and prevent from it from infecting each other

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
There is no way to do that.
even when it is not there, any kissing, etc. can transmit it.
It is not a harmful virus.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

is it herpes then? it is a sexually transmitted disease? and how often should people expect a reoccurance?

can i get antibiotics to help?

also, I have been on the pill micgrogyn and now gerderal - i have regular pains in my lower abdomen - is this all related?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Listen
This can be a pimple.
It can be HSV type one, there is no cure or treatment that is really effective...it is a cold sore. It is not a problem.
It is not related to anything else.

You need to see a doctor in person to see exactly what it is.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Hi. He simply brushed this off as a cold sore without asking any other questions. I don't feel consulted or helped I feel worse. More anxious and more stressed- not usually what people should feel after consulting a doctor.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I think the main problem is the anxiety here

Do you want to attach a picture?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Did this start out as a pimple or blister?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I dont know what the difference is. It was like a regular pimple. It cam up on friday mid day. No burns not sting no itching. I just saw a 2 bumps come up - I put some TCP on it and ignored it. then the next day, it swell a little. still no pain or discomfort. it didnt look like it had anything on the inside - not fluid filled. Its only noticeable today.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
OK
this can be from HSV 1.
It is the hepres type 1 virus.
If so, it goes away.
There is not way to cure it.
There is no way to always prevent tranmission, unless you never kiss someone, but most people have that.

This lesion now looks like it could have a secondary infection.

Staph would be the bacteria.

That needs a prescription ointment called mupiricin, which treats staph and should heal this up quickly.

If you are tested for HSV one and it is negative, then this is a pimple that became infected with staph and is easily treatable.

So you need
a. to see your doctor.
b. to have a swab
c. start mupiricin.

Please reverse your negative rating with a positive and be sure to let me know if you have more questions, use reply....I state this at the end of all my posts.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Any further questions?
Use reply.
Please click a smiley face if you are done.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I asked if both conditions were highly contagious and non curable.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I did not receive that reply.

So
The staph is almost instantly curable, and not easily transmissible, but possible. Usually not.

The HSV one is not curable....most people already have that virus, it comes up at times of stress, and it can be transmitted at anytime, even without a breakout, although that is more rare than during a breakout.
For HSV1, you can make a breakout go away faster with acyclovir, an antiviral, but it can still come back.

DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.