DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

A couple of months ago I had a varicose vein operation on both

A couple of months ago I had a varicose vein operation on both legs.I experienced severe
post-operative urinary retention-after some hours nearly 3 litres were extracted and a
catheter was inserted.One month later I underwent testing of my bladder functioning and
It was concluded that the bladder had been distended so much that it would never return
to normal functioning.

I am wondering whether this is conclusively so or whether a blockage somewhere may
be the cause of the problem.Is a private second opinion worthwhile?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
A second opinion, from a urologist is worthwhile.
The question is why was the bladder distended and for how long.

If it was one acute event, unlikely it would be permanent, and I would never suggest that without a course of bladder training and physical therapy.

If this was or has been distention from a chronic prostate problem, or stricture, then it might be more difficult.

I would be glad to consider any more details that you have.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].