Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Hello. I have been feeling extremely weak and have been sleeping

Hello. I have been feeling extremely weak and have been sleeping inordinately. I have pains in my lower abdomen frequently. I have a 3 level disc replacement in my neck. I was sitting up, about to begin to play a game of Scrabble in a local pub (I had not been drinking had taken a sip of Guiness when I suddenly felt very hot and began sweating. Everything around me seemed to become over-exposed. I felt myself struggling against this feeling that confused me, as though I could make it stop. I then woke up on the ground having vomited violently while I was unconscious. A friend who was working on his laptop said that I raised both of my hands up as though I was stretching before I began to vomit and fell off the chair onto the floor. I have no memory of this. When I came to I felt almost reluctant to come back to consciousness as though being woken from a deep sleep. The last thing I remember was looking at the windows that a friend had opened because I said I felt so terribly hot. I had already been told that I needed a blood test by my GP and was waiting for a 2 week period before a blood test appointment was available when this "episode" occurred. I have a lot of pain in my arms, as though I have been lifting weights when I have not. I have tingling in my hands and feet. I had such symptoms before and during the healing of the 3 level disc replacement (C4-C7) which I underwent after a major car accident. I have been unbelievably depressed as well but there are situational reasons for this vs. the depression having an unexplained onset. Sometimes I have very itchy raised blisters on my foot. There never seems to be enough time in my GP appointment to cover all that is going on. Do you have any advice as to how I might manage to condense this information into a coherent, brief statement to communicate to my GP? Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Thanks for this question

The arm pain is probably related to the neck but I don't think this is related to what happened. It might have been worsened by the fall but I don't think so.

I would try to focus on the passing out.

The symptoms you describe are typical of vasovagal syncope. This is somewhat of an emotional reaction. However, a real physical cause needs to be ruled out.

I would focus on making sure the heart is okay and the brain. heart arrhythmias and seizures are common causes of this.

I would be sure to focus on details surrounding the event. How you felt before and especially after. If you were confused after this points toward a seizure.

Here is a link to vasovagal syncope

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/vasovagal-syncope/basics/definition/con-20026900
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX I have already researched various types of seizures and syncopes online. I am concerned about the raising of my hands I could not remember and the simultaneous violent vomiting. Do you have a suggestion of the type of blood tests I should request when I go in on Monday? I am not a hypochondriac but I worry about this sudden change in my health all at once. There seem to be so many symptoms that I feel I am overwhelming my GP. I have just joined their practice.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I should have mentioned that after I almost reluctantly (as though being woken from a deep and pleasurable sleep) was brought to by a friend, I was definitely confused, embarrassed and kept asking questions about what had happened. I have never lost consciousness to the best of my knowledge, even during the automobile accident, after which I became hyperactive, felt no pain and was obviously in shock as I "crashed" later and had serious injuries. I have also had headaches when I am just not a headache person. When I lean my head forward (as over a keyboard) there is a sense of painful pressure. I see you are in the US. I am in England and GPs can only spend a very limited time in their appointments. Can you tell me how best to condense this for her benefit? I haven't told her about the loss of consciousness as she wanted to see me after the blood tests re. the deep fatigue, weakness, depression and generalized pain, tingling, etc. Sorry ...unfortunately for you, I type quickly. C.

I would just ask for a good, thorough baseline workup

CBC (complete blood count)

Comp panel (liver/kidney/electrolytes)

TSH (thyroid)

lipids (cholesterol)

Vitamin D
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I should have mentioned that after I almost reluctantly (as though being woken from a deep and pleasurable sleep) was brought to by a friend, I was definitely confused, embarrassed and kept asking questions about what had happened. I have never lost consciousness to the best of my knowledge, even during the automobile accident, after which I became hyperactive, felt no pain and was obviously in shock as I "crashed" later and had serious injuries. I have also had headaches when I am just not a headache person. When I lean my head forward (as over a keyboard) there is a sense of painful pressure. I see you are in the US. I am in England and GPs can only spend a very limited time in their appointments. Can you tell me how best to condense this for her benefit? I haven't told her about the loss of consciousness as she wanted to see me after the blood tests re. the deep fatigue, weakness, depression and generalized pain, tingling, etc. Sorry ...unfortunately for you, I type quickly. C. I am resending this because I think your response and my additional question crossed paths. Thank you.

This sounds like post concussion syndrome

When you fell you likely suffered a trauma significant enough to cause a concussion

headaches long after the accident are common with PCS (post concussion syndrome)

Try to focus on relevant details like the continued headaches
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)