Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.
13711182

my daughter is 12 she had brown spotting for a couple of days

Customer Question

my daughter is 12 she had brown spotting for a couple of days 2 weeks ago, we thought it was her first period, however she has today had some more brown spotting .... should I be worried or is this normal
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.

It's not unusual when a girl is first starting her periods that she can have irregular bleeding or spotting. It's nothing to be worried about. The reason is that girls don't usually start ovulating until they've been having periods for a while, and this can cause the uterine lining to build up some and then spot.

I would just give it some time. Hopefully she'll start having more or less regular periods. If the spotting goes on for too long, then it's better that she see her doctor, just to check that there is nothing more serious. It's quite unlikely to be anything serious.