Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

My dad who is 78 suffers from very tight calf muscles. He went

My dad who is 78 suffers from very tight calf muscles. He went to a health spa last month and the exercises helped him. But since then the tightness has returned. He cannot walk for more than 15 minutes as the tightness is making him unstable and wobbly. Would an exercise bike be a good solution for him or is there anything else that we could do to help him? Many thanks.
Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.

I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.

Were any investigations done to see for the cause?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As far as I know he has been to see the doctors, and no one was able to tell him what was wrong. Everyone suggested exercises only.

Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.
Amilla,

Let me explain a bit.

Tight calf muscles indicate abnormal involuntarily contracted muscles. The cause can be varied - Systemic causes like anemia, vitamin or mineral deficiency, dehydration/ Irritation of the nerve concerned {diabetes, vitamin deficiency, pinching of the nerve at the spine level/ reduced blood flow to the muscles {atherosclerosis at the arteries}.

Few investigations like blood tests/ MRI Lumbar spine/ color doppler for lower limb arteries should give us more answers. Exercise {physiotherapy} would help for sure BUT we need to find the cause for tightness. Massage, warm compress may help too. He needs to have balanced diet, adequate fluid/ avoid alcohol and smoking.

Wish him well.

Best
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks. Will let my dad know.

kind regards.

Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.
Wish him well:)

Do consider to rate my answer.

Best