Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi I spoke to a doctor on your site yesterday, very disappointing/unehlpful

I spoke to a doctor on your site yesterday, very disappointing/unehlpful so I went to my regular doctor today. I had a blister on my lip thjat came up on friday like a water pimple. it did swell a little but did not contain any mucas, although it did change colour. I am in along term relationship. (18 months together) my boyfreind and I were both tested for herpes I and II (march 2013) and our results were negative. He was away on his business trip last week (tues- Frid) and this thing came up on the friday so when he got home and noticed it he accused me of having a cold sore - associated with herpes. I consulted your doctor who didnt see a picture and automatically said it was a cold sore. I am very distressed. we both are faithful to each other, we didnt have the virus before, can I get it now (out of nowhere) In the worst case, if I did manage to get it how liong will it take for it to flare up as a cold sore? is the herpes virus only passed on when one comes into contact with a person who in having an outbreak or can i contact it and it not reveal itself for years. in other words who quickly if you just got the virus will you know you have it? I have done my blood test today but the results will not be out for afew days. the doctor looked at me and said he doesnt think its that..is this a fair enough statement? I still have a leision on my lower lip and a very annoyed boyfiend. I feel very distressed and fearful. I also want to know so I have this on my lip, can I get another one at the same time. Say if is on my lower lip can I get a one on the inside of my cheek. I am only asking as I read the systoms of cold sores and I didnt experience any of those when the blister thing broke out but now that I am more aware of it I feel like I am getting one on the inside on my mouth on the opposite cheek. What do you think - please answer all my questions honestly - I am happy to pay for the service - the guy yesterday did not answer all my questions and the service was not great. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--I looked at your conversation with the other doctor here. Can I ask what your doctor thought this was (I've seen your photo)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

he said it looked like a water pimple, or just a blister brough on by stress/hormone activity. I can send you a picture of what it looks like today. So it came on on Friday and you can see what it looks like today.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
That new photo would help a lot so please let me see it
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am trying to attach one whilst I try that can you answer all my other questions
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I'll try but if I miss anything please let me know. One can have the virus and not have any breakout for months to years. Once you have it you'll always have it but breakouts can be few and far between. You can pass it on to someone else whether you have a breakout or not, and a lot of us will test positive for it. Since I have your photo now I agree this looks more like a pimple rather than a cold sore. Of course, your blood work will be the definitive test of whether or not it is a cold sore. If I haven't answered all your questions, please just let me know and I'll be glad to continue
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I had my last test in March 2013 and I have not done anything with anyone except my current boyfriend. If I had kissed someone who has herpes,in may last year, will I only have a break out in May this year? (this is possible?)

Also, can a person have a cold sore every month? Can there be another reason for a cold sore like thing to appear on me? hormones? stress? fatigue?

so with whatever that thing on my lip is can I now contract a cold sore? I am feeling a little bump on the inside of my cheek - opposite side to the where the current infection is? Is that a cold sore coming on?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Again, once one contracts the virus a breakout could occur within a week or it could take many months. As far as having recurrent cold sores, yes that can happen, especially with stress or, for a woman, with the monthly hormone fluxes of her period. A pimple on the lip doesn't make you more susceptible to getting herpes. I don't think the bump inside is a cold sore because, quite frankly, I don't think you have the virus
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you - my boyfriend still wants me to move out of our home tonight. he is livid with me - especially since this all happened whilst he was away. Thank you for your help. I will be sure to let you know the outcome tomorrow or monday. Fingers crossed it isnt the herpes. and what ever this thing on my lip is it will go away soon. Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure entirely Sayuri but be sure to keep in touch and please remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

where are the happy faces to rate the service? I only have reply to expert or not satisfied options?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Well let's try this--make a statement on this page that you rate my service as "excellent" and I'll send it to the moderators for processing. I'll also post this as another answer in case the happy face icon appears for you