Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I had an ear infection which the doctor which the doctor prescribed

Customer Question

I had an ear infection which the doctor which the doctor prescribed antibiotics and genistone HC ear drops, these ear drops made my ear very sore so a different doctor prescribed Sofradex, this appeared to clear up the infection but I now have a perforated ear drum so returned to the doctors, this doctor ( a different one again ) didn't look in my ear but prescribed Genistone again now my ear is blocked, after reading about Genistone it quite clearly states that it shouldn't be used by anyone with a perforatede ear drum as it may lead to hearing loss, after a sudden and almost total loss of my sense of smell recently( apparently this just happens! had no examination at all for this diagnosis! ) I don't want to start losing my hearing as well.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

Gentisone HC ear drops is hydrocortisone and gentamicin

Dr. David :

the worry is that the gentamicin can get behind the ear drum which is perforated and damage the nerves for hearing.

Dr. David :

so it should be used if you have a perforated ear drum.

Dr. David :

loss of sense of smell will come from a sinus infection or inflammation of your sinuses called sinusitis.

Customer:

I'm not sure what you mean you say it could lead to damaged nerves but then go on to say it should be used if you have a perforated ear drum, I used to suffer from sinusitis but since I have lost my sense of smell ( over a year ago now ) I haven't had it .

Dr. David :

that was a typo on my part.

Dr. David :

it should say it should not be used when you have a perforated ear drum.

Dr. David :

the gentisone ear drops.

Dr. David :

hello?

Dr. David :

do you have any other quesitons?

Customer:

No you have just confirmed what I had found out previously, I shall stop using the ear drops and go back to the doctors after the weekend and see if there is some other remedy to be had.