DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I am so worried about HIV. My son came home from University

Customer Question

I am so worried about HIV. My son came home from University and said he has to go for an HIV test because he was in a nightclub when a fight broke out (he was not involved) and he got spattered with blood and the guy who was bleeding said he was HIV positive. Well he did not tell me that the blood spattered tshirt was in his washing which I put into the washing machine and I did not realise that I had a paper type cut on my finger which I had done while preparing dinner, can I catch HIV like this?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
No
You can not catch HIV like this.
It was long dead by the time you washed that shirt.

Even a needle stick with fresh blood has a relatively low percentage of transmission.
The scenario you describe has zero.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].