Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Everytime i turn my neck past couple of days i can hear a grinding

Customer Question

Everytime i turn my neck past couple of days i can hear a grinding sound/cracking. I can also feel it if i place my hands at the back. I also have a whoosing noise in my ear. I do have a perforated eardrum but not sure if it has healed yet.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--any neck pain at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No neck pain
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Zack. Nothing serious at all here and from time to time I have the same thing. Believe it or not, this isn't bones cracking on top of themselves, just like when you crack your knuckles the sound you here isn't the bones cracking on each other. It's called the vacuum effect and it's a little bit of nitrogen gas in the joint that pops and reforms the vacuum that's normally in the joint. Sometimes this happens with neck muscle spasm without any pain. It doesn't mean you have anything broken in your neck or that there's arthritis forming there. This should stop in another day or two
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, thats what i thought, it was sore before that due to stress and revision! After couple of turns and grinds i do feel the discomfort. Arthritis was the first thing the 'popped in my head' its more at the top of the head where i hear the grinding. What about the swooshing sound in ear? I only hear that when lying down on/off. I have some pain in the ear when burping. But getting better. Had a cold as well which im getting over.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Not related to you neck and I would assume it's because the perforation hasn't closed yet so have your doctor take a look--they do close given time
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Great thanks. Thats put my mind to ease.

Any tips for my hypochondria
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
If it's a major health obsessive compulsive problem cognitive behavioral therapy with a good counselor will get you over it
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is it normal if after repeated grinds to feel discomfort in head. Is there anything i can do to help.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
What exactly do you mean by discomfort in your head Zack and how long does it last?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
As in feel heat back of my head and like tightness at the back of my head. I tun right and look straight it cracks i look down and up it cracks yesterday everytime i got in a car it would crack. Its really constant
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
That's just spasm of your neck muscles Zack. If this continues it'd be a good idea to have a session of deep tissue massage
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Oh i see, so the discomfort is normal. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure anytime Zach