Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hello just need bit of advice please, I saw an ent consultant

Hello just need bit of advice please, I saw an ent consultant in october regarding a dry irritating feeling in my throat, he examined me and put a scope down to check further down at my vocal cords and said everything was normal and looked pristine. Over the last 2 weeks the dry feeling is back along with me having to sometimes clear my throat or else my voice sounds raspy, sometimes when I go to speak it comes out raspy but not all the time. Im so worried its throat cancer should a go back to the doctor? Or wait and see if symptons ease?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
Did the symptoms resolve spontaneously in October?
Or did the ENT prescribe a treatment for the symptoms?
How long did it take for the symptoms to improve, either spontaneously or with treatment?
Are you having any other symptoms, such as nasal congestion or heartburn?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ent gave me ant acids which didnt really hekp, but yes the symptoms went away. I dont have heartburn at all, yes would nt say congested but when I go for a run in the morning afterwards I would feel a bit of mucus in my nose

Thank you for the additional information.

First, to address your concern about the possibility of throat cancer. It would be extremely unlikely that this is from throat cancer, for several reasons. The examination by the ENT physician of performing a scope down to the vocal cords is the best evidence that no cancer was present at that time. It is very unlikely that cancer could have developed in the interim and have progressed to the point that it would be causing symptoms in the interim. Even without a relatively recent examination, a cancer would be an unlikely cause of a dry throat. If the symptoms are persistent, there will be a point at which a repeat examination may be indicated, but it would typically only be concerning if it persists for a couple months.

It is far more likely that a dry sensation in the throat is due to either irritation from drainage from the nose and sinuses or from reflux of acidic contents from the stomach. Allergies would be the most common cause, although there are also non-allergic causes of inflammation of the nose and sinuses. Acid reflux will most often present with heartburn, but there are some people with reflux that present only with throat or lung symptoms, such as dry throat, sore throat, cough, or shortness of breath. There also are some inflammatory conditions that may cause dryness of the mouth and throat, but these would be less common as a cause of symptoms that have lasted a couple weeks.

There are a couple of options at this point. Since the doctor advised antacids, I would be suspicious that there may have been some suggestion of acid reflux, so it would be reasonable to first try a stronger acid medicine, such as Prilosec or Prevacid. Another option would be to try a medicine for allergies, such as a non-sedating antihistamine (cetrizine or loratidine).

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was just worried about my voice sounding raspy sometimes as I heard this was a symptom of throat cancer?

That is true, but any condition that irritates the throat can cause a raspy voice. It is not specific to throat cancer. It still would be unlikely for a cancer to cause these symptoms for the reasons noted above.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If it was sinister would my voice be hoarse and raspy all the time

It would be more likely to be all the time, but that is not a certainty. From a statistics perspective, the fairly recent examination is more reassuring than the fact that the symptoms are not present all the time. And even if the symptoms were present all the time, the normal examination in the Fall would make it unlikely that it is cancer.