Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I have a bad cold and cough which has left me with what i think

I have a bad cold and cough which has left me with what i think is catarrh, a lot of yellow mucas coming from the left side of my nose. I suffer with blocked tubes that make me go deaf sometimesand my doctor has given me flixonase spray and balloons to blow when this happens, this treatment i have benn usingfor two years.
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer

Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-

Is there sore throat?
Any fever?
Do you have thick or thin mucus coming out of left side of nose?

I am waiting for your reply..
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no sore throat now and thick yellow mucas from the left side

Dear customer,
Thank you for providing quick additional info.

The symptoms you have described of thick yellow mucus discharge from the left side of nose is most probably due to a condition called sinusitis.

The sinuses become congested and can become infected, a condition called sinusitis.It usually occurs after a cold due to bacteria and viruses infecting the lining of the sinuses.

Following treatment is recommended for you:

-Non-steroidal anti inflammatory drugs(NSAID's),oral or/and nasal decongestants.

-Afrin is a brand of nasal spray used to ease nasal congestion that is available over-the-counter.The generic name for this medication is Oxymetazoline hydrochloride or you can use flixonase spray which you have used in the past.

-Neti pot will help you greatly .It is done for nasal irrigation & to clear away mucus/crusting in the nasal passages.

-Keeping a humidifier running in your room or using an over-the-counter salt-water spray (inhaled through the nose) five or six times a day can provide dramatic relief.

-Antihistamine medication (allergy medication)

All this will help you greatly & is available as over the counter.

If still after this,the symptoms persists,then you need to consult your doctor & accordingly antibiotics & other prescription medications will be prescribed.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thankyou for your advice and i amsure it will be very helpful, Nita

Dear customer
Thank you for using just answer website.