Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Hello Doctor, I have had arthritis for 17 years, quite bad

Customer Question

Hello Doctor, I have had arthritis for 17 years, quite bad now. I'm 67 years old. Recently my doctor of 15 years retired and my new GP wants to take me off the drug I have been taking for 15 years-Pethidine. I know all about this drug and it's pros and cons. On the subject of dependence, I was prescribed 3 x 50 mg tablets a day, and this was increased to 4 tablets 3 years ago. I do not regard that as being excessive. Despite waiting for a reply from the pain team at the local hospital, where I was two months ago, when a Doctor from the pain team after interviewing me on this subject, said in his words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, my GP has been quite clear that she wants to take me off the drug. This has made me extremely anxious. Can you advise me of anything I can do to keep the drug which has kept me reasonably mobile for all these years? Best regards. Barry.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Dr. Phil, MD :

please enter chat

I noticed you couldn't enter chat mode

can you talk here Barry

Can you change your GP?

Will the pain doctor prescribe it?
I would ask the pain doctor for a script