Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

TI need an operation on my wrist I fell ovee last Nov have

TI need an operation on my wrist I fell ovee last Nov have had two ops on my elbow waiting third now for my wrist if I am pregnant can I still hv op ive been off work since nov
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

It is best to avoid surgery during pregnancy. Having said that, it has now been proven that general anesthesia or any other kind of anesthesia for that matter does not pose any threat to the pregnancy or the fetus.
If the surgery can not be delayed due to any reason then one can undergo surgery but if the surgery is not an urgent one then waiting for the pregnancy to end is the right choice. You have to discuss this with your doctor, if s/he thinks that the surgery can be done at a later time then you should delay it. However, if the surgery is causing you to take a leave of absence from work and is affecting your empolyment, then you can have it done. You should let your anesthetist be aware of the fact that you are pregnant and also get a pre surgery check up of the fetus with the Gyn/Obs.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
If you have more queries, reply back.
Best.