Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I went to see my Doc last Friday to discuss pros and cons of

I went to see my Doc last Friday to discuss pros and cons of PSA testing. He said "let's do it". He didn't ask me if I had ejaculated in the last 48 hours however. I'm awaiting the results and really worried that this will result in high reading.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

It is usually convenient to not have ejaculated if you are going for a PSA test since ejaculation can increase the level of PSA arbitrarily. However, since PSA test has a normal range of 1.0 ng/mL to 4.0 ng/mL the increase is usually within the range of normal. Anything above the normal range will be the result of a disease like Benign prostatic hyperplasia or prostate malignancy. The only absolute contraindication of doing a PSA is a manaul manipulation of the prostate such as with Digital Rectal Examination which has shown to increase the levels significantly and produce false positive test results. An increase of 0.75 ng/mL above the normal will be significant and since only a small amount of PSA escapes in to the blood stream with ejaculation, it does not cause an increase of greater than 0.75 ng/mL.
So, you should let your doctor know that you had ejaculated within the last 2 days so that he can interpret your results accordingly.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
If you have more queries, reply back.
Best.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your prompt reply. I also take a saw palmetto tablet daily. Will this have any affect in the reading.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
Pleasure to help, Dennis.
Yes, it might cause a decrease in the readings of the PSA levels, however, that will also not be a problem in interpreting the results of the diagnostic PSA tests because in serious conditions or conditions of concern the, PSA is markedly above the normal range for your age and ejaculation and herbal medication will not alter the results significantly.
Hope this helps.
If you have more queries, reply back.
Best.