How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 64285
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now

Hello, I am of African origin and have hyper pigmentation on

Resolved Question:

Hello, I am of African origin and have hyper pigmentation on various parts of my body. For example, my chest and abdomen are much lighter than my face which itself is patchy with my forehead being darker than my checks which of course greatly affects my confidence. I have been looking for a safe but yet skin lightening cream that will even out of my skin tone. Are you able to please recommend any brands that are likely to be effective. Thanks 

Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Over the counter?
No way.
Have you seen a dermatologist?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I bought both Nur76 and Meladerm over the internet. The fair and flawless is too sold over the internet but I am unsure of using their product line because of the poor write ups it has its got. No that's why I was hoping that you'd be able to give me some helpful advice being as I am paying quite a bit for an expert opinion.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
No over the counter product is consistent.
And the amount of treatment needs to be based on exam.
We are not here to treat you or handle your medication.
And ethically I have to tell you this is not self help or something to do without hands on assessment. That is required.
So I take it you are telling me no one has done that assessment?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Oh right. No because a consultation in the UK with a dermatologist is expensive and I haven't got that sort of money at the minute. I was looking into have a chemical peel down on my face to even out the skin tone but I understand that it is not recommended for dark skin because of the high risk of the pigmentation returning and also scarring.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
That is correct, and which topical cream to use, at what concentration, depends on examination...or you could over do it or under do it....
make sense?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes it does make sense. When you say topical cream are there any that dermatologists use that aren't hydroquinone based? I don't suppose you could recommend any dermatologist clinics in London that specialise in effectively treating hyperpigmentation, melasma etc?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Some dermatologists will use hydroquinone with other choices, usually a mixture.
Those compounds are individualized as well.

Many clinics in fact will offer an entire range of treatments.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, thanks for you advice. It is worth going to more than one clinic in order to get a varied opinion before I commit to one treatment plan?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
It is worth seeing two dermatologists who treat this frequently.

I do not see a positive rating on any of my answers....this is the only way we are paid by JA. Please don't forget. That is the only way we can provide this service.;
DrRussMD and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Related Medical Questions