DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I woke up this morning with a swelling on my face, just in

I woke up this morning with a swelling on my face, just in front of my right ear. It looks slightly red and feels 'tight' and hot to the touch. It has got slowly larger since breakfast. There also seems to be a smaller swelling just under my ear which is slightly sore. My ear has been itchy and producing a lot of waxy 'gunk' for a few days. Could the two things be linked? Should I do anything about it today? I am here on holiday from France to visit Chelsea Flower Show and so I can't see my own GP. I don't want to miss the Show obviously.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Mumps occurs in this location.

This is where the parotid gland is which is a salivary gland.
They can become infected and they can acquire stones.

Yes it should be looked at.

You might need a course of antibiotics to get you home.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do I need to get it looked at today? Being Sunday it is more problematic to find a doctor, but I could use my travel insurance to get assistance if you feel it should be checked sooner rather than later.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
The sooner the better if it is growing, if there is pain, or a lot of redness.