Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hi Im 29 years of age and would be a size 8/10, and for the

Customer Question

Hi Im 29 years of age and would be a size 8/10, and for the last year iv been gettin this smell from the lower half of my body, at first I thought this was due to a gyn problem after previos experience wirh bv but after being tested by a gynaecologist and results came back clear iv came to dicover that the smell is coming from the back of my legs just below my bum which may I add would sometimes give off a burning feeling this seems to happen when I sit for a long period of time or when I sweat, Iv tried to look to see if there is a rash but can't seem to find anything unusual there. Iv been to my GP also a numerous of times explaining my conditions but came out none of the wiser, after doing a bit of research myself I approached my GP with the theory of having a form of ring worm altho she didnt seem to think so and wasnt much help at all, she prescribed me antibiotic and has advised that if it didnt work to go back to her, as this treatment didnt work iv came to the end of my terror, im so desperate to find the problem iv came here for help, im sorry iv went on a bit but this is really getting me down depressed and paranoid expecially when im at work were I sit on a chair all day in a very hot office. Also is it possible that this message could be kept privite as I feel this is a very imbarrasing subject,.
any advise would be most appreciatedbthank you!
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 2 years ago.
Has anyone else noticed this smell?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No iv asked family but they have said they cant get it but im pretty sur that my work colleague's do

Did the doctor smell this
Has anyone actually told you them smell it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No

OK
I see several possibilities here.
A smell without a rash on the legs is very unlikely.
Leaking stool might do this, but you would know if you are doing that.
Some bacteria that feed on skin cells can cause body odor, but that is easily remedied with a daily dry brush massage before your shower, which will remove dead skin which bacterial feed on.

Another possibility is phantosmia, a smell that is really not there, and only you smell it.
This can be caused by sinus problems, but also by more serious conditions such as seizure disorder or brain tumor, and so you need a neurological exam if your doctor has not done this.

That pretty much covers the main possibilities.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Iv previosly exfoliated during showers and baths but this hasnt helped, also iv been tested for sinus problems but again this doesnt seem to be the case, phantosima is very unlikely but on certain occasions I could associate certain smells with the one that I seem to be burden with so could be likely sometimes but not always Im deffently smelling something of wich can sometimes very from like a burning, cleaning product or urine im certain my work colleague's have smelt this from over hearing different comments and actions of others altho they never say directly to me, hoping its not a brain tumor, could u explain how I would know if it could be leaking stools? And would there be be just a possability that this could be due to excessive sweating down there and its giving of a bad oder as I do seem to sweat alot in that area, and if so can this be treated?

You would know because you would see the stool and feel it leak.

Excessive sweating is a possibility, but deodorant would clear this up.

CT is needed to test for sinus problems.

EEG for seizure