Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Good afternoon. I have had aggressive non hodgkins lymphoma

Good afternoon. I have had aggressive non hodgkins lymphoma cancer. I underwent chemo and radiation treatment. If this cancer occurs again will it be in my neck where it originally started.
Since having treatment I have gained over three stone in weight. I have been unable to loose this weight.
My doctor has also stated I have developed anaemia and lacking iron.
I have constant back ache and am unable to walk for long distances before my legs ache. My doctor has also stated that the treatment may have weakened my heart.
My Thyroid gland is also underactive and I have started taking tablets for this condition.
I have trouble defecating and have to constantly take senecote tablets to be able to go to the toilet.
I have six monthly check ups at hospital but no advise is given as to how to combat these problems.
I am at my wits end and wondering when I will finally begin to improve. Is there sanything you could suggest that would help.
.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--first off how long have you been on the thyroid pills and are you now taking iron supplements?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have been taking the thyroid tablets for three weeks

I have not been given anything for the low iron count

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Have you had any improvement in your symptoms since you started the thyroid tablets?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have noticed no improvement yet.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Amanda and we can continue after this if you'd like. I think the majority of your problem is the low thyroid and the anaemia combined. It may take at least two months and perhaps an increase in the dosage of the thyroid medication to get you back to a normal thyroid balance and with iron supplements that will improve the anaemia in about the same time. I suggest you ask your doctor about adding an iron supplement and discuss with him about how the treatment of low thyroid is accomplished
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay. Is the problem with my thyroid the reason for my problems with my back and legs and is it possible the treatment has weakened my heart. Will my heart repair itself or is there something I should be doing.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Certain types of chemo can weaken the heart and the heart can repair itself from that with cardiac rehabilitation physical therapy. I do thing your thyroid problem is also the problem with your back and legs
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I take it that I will need walking as an exercise. If so should I start off short distances and gradually lengthen them. Should I continue to take my citalopram medication for the depression this problem has given me.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes walking is really a good exercise but take it slowly at first. For now yes, you should continue your citalopram. Please let me know how it goes and remember to rate my service to you Amanda
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.