Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Last July my child then aged 17 mths was diagnosed with neutropenia.

Customer Question

Last July my child then aged 17 mths was diagnosed with neutropenia. The Paed said it was mild - .6 when normal should be 1.2. the doc also thought it was transient and came about as a result of an infection in June. By Nov he was back to himself but I think it may be back but family doctor thinks otherwise and wont do bloods.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--are you saying that you think the infection is back and if so why?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think the neutropenia is back because the symptoms are similar to last year. Appetite has dropped, fatigued, very whingey, Looks to have lost weight but I haven't actually weighted him. could take 3 hour naps in the afternoon and I often have to wake him at that stage as he could sleep on and still sleep 11/12 hrs at night at least

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Sheila--did the doctor identify the specific infection back in June? And besides the neutropenia, what was his total white blood cell count and his hemoglobin then?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was campylobacter. Don't know the WBC - all I can recall is that

I was told it was .6 when 1.2 was min normal value. HB was slightly low at 10.9

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK--just one more question Sheila--what does the doctor think is going on right now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nothing actually. Similar to last year when I sought the second opinion myself. I initially brought him to the GP in March he was off form. thought it might be his ears but nothing found. we were on holidays before easter when he got a very high temp so attented another doctor - both ears infected prescribed augmentin. never really bounced out of it. back to GP a week later still nothing found but slight temp. now back again 4 days ago with diarrhoea. found swollen glands and slight tonsillitis no temp on distaclor.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Sheila--and we can continue after this if you need. Neutropenia by itself without a very low white count doesn't cause symptoms. It's the accompanying infection--viral or bacterial--that causes the symptoms. I see no reason right now not to check his CBC but from what you've told me you shouldn't be worried that the neutropenia by itself means something more serious like leukemia or other blood disorders