Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

good morning my wife is 56 with type.2 on medication but has

Customer Question

good morning my wife is 56 with type.2 on medication but has severe mood swings also awful flatulence .and night sweats .is there anything i can do to help her
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
What evaluation has been done for these symptoms?
What does her blood sugar typically run?
Have you checked her blood sugar during the episodes of night sweats?
Are the mood swings normal to lows swings or both highs and lows?

I had asked for some additional information and have not heard back.

There are a few options of what you and she can do at home to help with these symptoms.

From the perspective of the mood swings, the primary interventions that can be done at home are lifestyle management interventions, particularly getting regular aerobic exercise and sun exposure, so exercising outdoors would be optimal.

From the perspective of the flatulence, there are a couple of interventions to consider to help. It may help to avoid foods that tend to increase gas production, particularly legumes. There are a couple of medicines to help ease gas in the gut. The most readily available medicine is simethicone, but this may not work as well for colonic gas. Activated charcoal may be better, such as in CharcoCaps. It is also reasonable to use a probiotic to promote the good germs in the gut.

From the perspective of the night sweats, the first step (if it has not yet been done) is to check her blood sugar during these episodes. Some diabetics can get a low blood sugar in the middle of the night, which can cause sweating. If her blood sugar is running low in the middle of the night, it also can then cause a rebound increase in blood sugar, so that it looks too high in the morning. If the blood sugar is normal during these episodes, then she should be seen, as there can be a variety of hormonal, infectious or inflammatory conditions that should be considered.

Ultimately, it may be necessary for her to be seen if any of these symptoms persist, particularly if the symptoms are more severe.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.