Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I have a pain at the back of my neck going up the back of

I have a pain at the back of my neck going up the back of my head over my right eye down through my teeth and face . My ear is very slightly painfully , and don't feel very well in myself. Does anyone know what this is? . Thanks penny
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Thanks for this question

This is probably a neurological disorder known as trigeminal neuralgia. It involves inflammation of the trigeminal nerve

It is treated with "nerve pills".

It could also be a pinched nerve or the start of something like shingles (pain before the rash)

In any event it sounds neurological in nature

Unfortunately, there is not much that can be done at home. This requires a visit to A and E or your GP.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dr phil, my sister has just had shingles but I'm sure it is not contagious is it ?
Yes, it can be!

If your immunity to it has gone away or if you never had chickenpox.

shingles on the face is very serious.

make sure you get checked
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is there any medication for this as I am travelling to Spain on a 2 week holiday.on the 28 may
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
All info excellent rated . I still have not received answer to a question is there any medication for this as I am travelling abroad in the 28th
Yes, you should take valcyclovir if it turns out to be shingles

sorry about the late reply Penny
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)