Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

Hi my little girl 6 months + 2weeks old has really bad hay

Hi my little girl 6 months + 2weeks old has really bad hay fever the chemist has said there is nothing for her till she's a year old but she is really not well with it and her nose is stuffy I have tried carvol and fix but she's still finding it hard to breath she keeps rubbing her eyes and they are puffy any advice on something for her please ? Thanks Claire
Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.
Claire,

Since when is she having fever/ difficulty to breath? Were any investigations done to see for the cause?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
5 days since hot weather and no investigation just asked at my local chemist
Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.
Claire,

I do understand your anxiety.

To be frank - If I were you I would get her to the doctor as soon as possible. Fever with difficulty in breathing worries me. It may indicate pneumonia {infection in lung}. She not responding to Calpol and Karvol worries me more.

Children have less body surface and even small pneumonia patch can cause significant reduction in lung function. She would need antibiotic course/ Nebulizer and may be some bronchodilator.

As of now - Warm compress over her chest/ continue Karvol/ keep her well hydrated.

Wish her well.

Best

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi it's deafinetly not nothing that serious her big brothers both suffer with hay fever and her father who show same symptoms , she can't breath due to the blocked nose and her itchy eyes just need to no if there is any allergy medicine she can have at her age ?
Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.

She may be given Cetrizine. The dose is:
6 - 12 months of age: 2.5 mg given once daily (maximum dose 5 mg daily).

Best
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you that's great , can I buy this over the counter in England , bristol , ?
Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.
Yes, it is available over the counter in UK:)