Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Hi For the past year I have been suffering with back and abdominal

For the past year I have been suffering with back and abdominal pain. A year later and the pains are getting worse, my stools are loose and foul smelling, I have had numerous blood tests which all have came back negative. Although last week I paid for a private test for calprotectin which came back with a range of 15-60 micro g per g.
Could you shed some light on this please as I am very concerned and worried right now.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Hi there.

still need help?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes please
calprotectin is a non specific marker for inflammation

what did your doctor say
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I haven't been back to my GP as I have already bees referd to a GI specialist but that is not until July, although my GP does not know that I have had this test done. The person that done the test said it's not to be overly concernd about but do get advice from my GP
That might indicate you have something like inflammatory bowel disease Ricky

something that causes inflammation in the gut
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I suppose I'm looking for something more serious... Cooped with the back pain, loose stools ect. Is calprotectin associated with cancer? I heard it was
It can be but I doubt it at your age Ricky

that is why this isn't typically run
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
And what type of cancer is it typically associated with?
All different types
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. Today is a new day and a new symptom. I seem to have a sharp pain that comes and goes on the right side of my belly button.
that could be a variety of things Ricky

anything in the bowel, urinary tract, etc
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok... If I was a patient of yours what would you suspect? And be honest as that's the best policy. Current temperature is 37 degrees and current BP is 144/81 with a pulse rate of 98
I suspect irritable bowel syndrome
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have had a test done which I was told is not IBS as the calprotectin levels were 15-60
calprotectin is not a very specific test
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. Well thanks for your advice. You ain't really told me much as you only but a few short words in a reply when in fact I am paying good money for this service.
But thanks for your time and patience
All the Best
Ricky
Your symptoms are non specific ricky

You have abdominal pain, foul smelling stools of no identifiable cause.

The calprotectin was positive but this is a non specific test so it doesn't really help us.

Based on your symptoms, I suspect irritable bowel

other possibilities are celiac disease, SIBO and lymphocytic colitis

You really need to see a gastro doctor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok Dr Phill Thankyou
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)