Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

In 2002 I suffered fatigue. All illnesses were ruled

In 2002 I suffered chronic fatigue. All illnesses were ruled out and it was thought I had cfs. This occurred after the death of my then 36 year old brother (18 months later).
After two or so years I gradually regained my strength and energy and almost fully recovered
My mum died 20 months ago. We were also very close. For eight months now I have had de reading energy levels. Now I can do 3 or 4 hrs of day to day activity and then I sleep. I feel wiped out fatigued exhausted continually. Joints Nd muscles ache. My mind is willing but my body won't let me. I go to bed at 8 and ha e mini.um 13 hrs in bed. I don't cook clean Nd have had to stop most of my work
my GP referred me for psychological assessment and I was diagnosed with depression. I have and take anti depressants and am no longer tearful. Joints are better too. I take lorazepam 1mg nightly which allows a better quality sleep. I feel I am not depressed. Please help. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--I'm not quite sure what your question is here so could you please tell me what information you need?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am wondering the likelihood I am suffering with cfs and not depression. It's enough to feel depressed but I cannot function on a normal level.

How can I request an assessment and diagnosis so I know how I can best take care of myself? Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Kelly--has the fatigue been recently evaluated with blood work?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No nothing. My GP just referred me immediately for ohychological assessment. My last analysis of blood was about three years ago

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Kelly. You need to ask your GP for the following tests--thyroid function, CBC. cortisol levels, and EBV viral titer (for CFS), vitamin levels, and liver and kidney function. All those areas need to be checked before it might be said that this is still merely depression and not a physical disorder
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That's really helpful to know thank you. I will now translate it to ask my Spanish GP. I live permanently in spain. Regards

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure Kelly but let me know how it goes for you