DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

My son (15) and I had a check up last week, neither of us

My son (15) and I had a check up last week, neither of us had any problems, my son was told he needed one filling and was then xrayed and required a further two fillings. I was told my teeth were kept very clean, x-rayed and told I needed an extraction. I'm a little concerned that this treatment may be a little drastic, does this sound like normal practice. Please help I am getting quite worried
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Why an extraction.....?
They must have given you a reason for this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

apparentley thereb is a gap between my gum and tooth but I couldn't really tell on the xray

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, that is not a reason.
If there is an abscess that has destroyed the root, or caused other problems similar to that, then a root canal or pulling the tooth would be options.

There is not simply one option.

Typically a course of antibiotics followed by a root canal would be done.

I would call the dentist, ask what the actual problems is, and why extraction v. root canal.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].