DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hi, I have an abscess on cheek/anus opening. Not

Hi, I have an anal abscess on butt cheek/anus opening. Not overly painful but feeling generally under weather with it (was bit shivery yesterday). Spent most of today bounced from GP to A&E and 3-4 hrs later they said they would only do under a general anaesthetic, which to me seems excessive and too prolonged a procedure/stay. I have never had a general and wasn't expecting that to be necessary at all, so i discharged myself. I was given 2 types of antibiotics - one being metronidazole. I have been bathing it in hot salt water today followed by magnesium sulphate, not reducing very much though. Can you tell me how/where I can get it drained under a local anaesthetic? I was in St Thomas', London, where I got the impression they were too busy to do anything other than knock me out, knock it off...
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JA

How extensive is this abscess.

What is it from.

Do you have crohn's?

Does it involve the rectum?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, no other illness. I think i sat awkward on a beanbag, fell asleep and a hair cut into my skin there, got infected. It is located on right cheek very near opening to anus ... Fluctuates between size of large grape to golf ball... Difficult to see it! ;)

I know you won't recommend it but I feel like sterilising a needle and doing it myself!

It isn't too painful at moment so am sticking with antibiotics and bathing
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Where are you located exactly?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
London, Central. I was thinking if no better in morning i would pursue my private health cover?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
CAll this group

http://www.londoncolorectal.co.uk/

I believe this can be done under local.

This groups should have someone who can do it as an office procedure.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX try them if no better in am. Do you think it will resolve with Ab for few days...? Any advice on bathing / even squeezing/bursting it?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
An abscess that is too severe will not resolve only with antibiotics.
If it is a cyst forming it has to be removed.

I would not squeeze it as you might make it worse.

Bathing is OK.