Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My son was born with various medical issues which have required

My son was born with various medical issues which have required a continual string of corrective surgeries. Because he was already under investigation for his issues one scan showed that there was a problem with the location of one of his kidneys. Myself and my husband were told that both his kidneys were on his left side and that one was smaller than the other and because of this we were initially told that he only has one because the other couldn't be seen. My son is now 28 years old but he has had to endure 26 surgical procedures from the day he was born up to and including 8th May 2014. His kidneys have not been mentioned since he was a baby and we were told initially and I am wondering if I should get him referred to a urologist to get them checked before deterioration sets in taking into account what he has already been through. I would be grateful for any guidance you might be able to offer. TW
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I am sorry to know about your son who has suffered a lot.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I would like that he should at least have an ultrasound or a CT scan of his abdomen to have a look at his kidneys if he has not had that done already.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Plus I would like that he should have his urea and creatinine monitored if he is not having that done already.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So yes I think that you should be referred to a urologist or a nephrologist to make sure everything is okay and to put your mind to rest once and for all and to know exactly what the situation with your son's kidneys is.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you following me?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please type in the textbox and use the reply button.

Customer:

Do you think I should be worried? I am rather concerned that no tests have been conducted on his kidney function since we were told of his condition involving his kidneys. My son is understandably fed up with doctors and hospitals but I think it needs looking into with everything else that has been going on since birth. I would value your opinion.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I am sure he must have had at least a blood test. The blood test is a very routine test in which they check the urea and creatinine.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I am pretty sure that it must have been normal.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Even if he has one functioning kidney his urea and creatinine should be fine.

Customer:

I couldn't tell you if these tests have been carried out or when they would have been as i am in the dark. When he was admitted for his recent surgery no blood was taken. I am aware what urea and creatinine are as I am a long term insulin dependent diabetic with chronic kidney disease and i attend a renal clinic every 6 months. I was not aware that my son could be susceptible to major kidney difficulties because it has never been explained to me what precaution tests could be administered. Now that i know what to ask for i will arrange to see a GP as soon as i can get an appointment for him.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes that is the right thing to do.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Any more questions?

Customer:

No, but thank you so much for your help this morning

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Take care
Wish you all the best.
Please do rate me for my services before you leave by clicking on one of the smilies below. I hope I provided excellent services.
Tip/bonus is always appreciated.
Good bye :)

Customer:

Good bye and thanks again. I will be sure to rate you below.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Good bye and please do follow up with me on this :)