Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I had a flexible sigmology camera inserted in my I am

Customer Question

I had a flexible sigmology camera inserted in my rectum I am very frightened I have bowel cancer I have seen no blood as feel very healthy 3 weeks ago I saw some mucus in my motion it then be ok for the last couple of days I have been in a highly stressed way as a I am having a colonoscopy tomorrow and for last couple of days seen some more mucus in my motion. My doctor and examined me and said as I am very slim he can feel my tummy easily and the consultant said the signoscopy was good I am frightened I have a tumour in my upper bowel I sometimes get a pain down my right side with bit of bubbling but it goes on and off and is not a severe pain I am so scared but is muscus on it's in nothing to worry about and would the consultant have see any more signs when he looked up
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
When was the sigmoidoscopy done?
Was it done for these symptoms or another problem?
To clarify what information you are seeking, are you asking whether a sigmoidoscopy would show any signs of a tumour higher in the colon?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes would it indicate any tumours higher in the colon
A sigmoidoscopy, by itself, is generally not a test that can detect a tumour in the upper colon or identify any other changes that would suggest a tumour higher in the colon. It is possible to perform colon cancer screening by combining a sigmoidoscopy with checking the stool for occult blood, and the combination is very effective, since the tumours that are higher in the colon have a greater tendency to bleed. It is not as accurate as a colonoscopy, since the colonoscopy will detect tumours even if not bleeding. However, the sigmoidoscopy alone is not able to detect a tumour higher in the colon.

With the symptoms that you describe and a normal sigmoidoscopy, it is statistically far more likely that you do not have colon cancer higher in the colon. When colon cancer causes visible mucus in the stool, it is typically lower in the colon and would be detectable by the sigmoidoscopy. And it is statistically unlikely that colon cancer would be causing the right sided pain that you describe. It is still appropriate to perform the colonoscopy so that we can be certain that there is no tumour, but it is very unlikely that a tumour is present.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.