Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

PLease could you advise what the cause of an ESR of 26 can

PLease could you advise what the cause of an ESR of 26 can be caused by? my doctor said that was slightly higher than it should be and said the normal is below 20. At the time of the blood test I had a cold and was sufferring from 6 weeks of painful shoulder and hip muscles and joints due to a running programme I'd started but had to give up due to the pain. This is now beginning to resolve with pilates, physio and deep massage and 200mgs of ibuprofen once daily. i'd be grateful for your advice and views
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--first can you tell me if there were any other abnormalities in your blood work like with your white cell count, etc?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
all was fine except for a low vitamin d for which i'm taking tablets
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Catherine. Really nothing to worry about with this. It was only a little elevated and that can be seen with colds and the flu which it sounds like you had at the time. It can also be seen with muscle inflammation. I think it doesn't mean anything more than that and if it were rechecked now it would be back to normal.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you, XXXXX XXXXX concerned that there could be something serious, the cold had cleared and the muscle pain whilst still present is much improved
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I see no reason for concern here Catherine
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
many thanks for your helpful and reassuring response
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Any time at all Catherine. Please remember to rate my service to you