DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

My grandson is 3 years old and will only eat baby food or marmite

My grandson is 3 years old and will only eat baby food or marmite on toast every day. His mother has been trying to incorporate adult food for the past 2 years with no success. He blankly refuses to try any food he has not had before. She tries bribery but that doesn't work. She tried just giving him normal food for 10 days and although he was hungry, he wouldn't touch any of it. He goes to nursery where they have snack times but even with other children eating the food. He will not even try it. Her doctor says its psychological but doesn't know where she can send him so has told her just to get on with it. He is due to start school next year and my daughter can foresee problems at lunch time. Have you any advice to give us regarding this problem? Thank you.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
A child psychologist/behavioral therapist is needed.

I am not sure why the GP would not know this; perhaps he /she does not want to refer.

However, I would ask that he/she find a list of child psychologists for the child at this point.
Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].