Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have had ezcema since I was a baby, I am now 21 and it is

I have had ezcema since I was a baby, I am now 21 and it is still in bad condition. My GP said I would grow out of it when I was 15 then he changed his mind and said 18. My ezcema flares up with allergies and I have no idea what I am allergic to as they won't test me and treat me. They said its a waste of time. Every now and then little lumps appear in one spot on my neck and then it spreads all over my neck to my collar bone and on my face. I don't scratch this but it still spreads and becomes red and sore. I think its hayfever related as I suffer from it but it has only happened twice. Yesterday morning and a couple of weeks ago in the morning as well. Can I get some advice on this in what to do and how to stop/treat it. I took a hayfever tablet before all this happened as my skin around my eyes felt ichy. I'm not allergic to hayfever tablets as I take it regularly. It really brings me down as people stare and ask questions. I've had this all my life and I'm getting really fed up. Any help please?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Which hay fever tablets are you taking?
Which cream have you been applying?

I had asked for some further information and have not heard back, so will address what information is available.

First, there are several types of eczema, but from your description sounds more like a form that is similar to atopic dermatitis.

There are no miracle answers, but there are several options to consider in the management of this problem. It may help to use a moisturising cream, which can be applied either to treat or prevent the symptoms. The next step to consider would be a steroid cream, which is typically only applied during exacerbations. If that is not effective, then it may help to use a cream that suppresses the immune system, such as tacrolimus or pimecrolimus.

If I can provide any further information or clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

I only use a normal antihistamine that you get in the shops and for cream I do use a moisturiser called Simple as it is the only cream light enough that I can use on my face.

I have been using steroid cream but it doesn't seem to help anymore but only makes it worse as it feels really itchy.

Where could I get some of that cream that suppresses the immune system? and wouldn't I need to be an extreme case to get it?

Could hay fever effect my eczema in that way?

It would need to be prescribed by a doctor, and yes, there would be consideration of the severity of the problem when considering whether to prescribe one of these medicines. It would not need to be extreme, but it also would probably not be considered for a mild case.

Hay fever usually does not directly affect eczema, but both problems appear to have an allergic component and people may find that both problems may get better or worse at the same time.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay, thank you so much for your advice. Better than what the GP would give me.