Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Hi, I have a painless swelling in my neck which was checked

I have a painless swelling in my neck which was checked about 9 mths ago via ultrasound the dr was confident it was nothing to worry about since that time the swelling has extended down my neck and i have swellings on the collar bone and swelling under my arm which can ache a little making my sleeve feel tighter than the other. I am worried to go back after they told me that the ultrasound was ok what should i do?
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer

Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions.First I need a little more information-

Do you have a kind of lump in neck?
Is it a movable lump?
Any other known medical illness?

I am waiting for your reply..
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there is slight swelling near the jaw/ear then hard lump in neck and a soft swelling going down my neck.

Dear customer,
Thank you for providing quick additional info.

The painless hard lump in neck which was checked about 9 mths ago via ultrasound is most probably a condition called lipoma.

It is a growth of fat cells in a thin, fibrous capsule usually found just below the skin.

Its exact cause is not known.Torso, neck and shoulder are the most common site.It is non cancerous.

In general, lipoma is left untreated because there is no known method of treating it and because it is harmless .So it do not generally require treatment.

If it causes any discomfort like pain,tenderness,infection or if it increases in size,they can be removed surgically.

The swelling you are having near jaw/ear,down the neck,on the collar bone & under the arm is most probably & most likely because of this lipoma.

You need to get back to your doctor & accordingly simple excision may be done to remove it or/and you may be prescribed with oral & local anti inflammatory medications.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what about the armpit swelling which is on the opposite side is this a separate problem?

Dear Customer,
Thank you for asking follow up question.

Due to compression & pressure from the lipoma,the swelling may occur along the way of nerve.

The nerves/tissues of both sides originate from neck.

So most probably & most likely this swelling of armpit is also due to pressure from lipoma.It does not seem to be a separate issue.

So I advise you to consult your doctor for examination & accordingly excision may be done.Liposuction is another option if the lipoma is soft and has a small connective tissue component.

I have seen that you have not rated my answer yet.Please do not forget to rate my answer as positive,as this is the only way by which we(experts) get paid for the service.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Hi JA customer
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Have you get examined by your doctor?
What treatment was given?

Let me know,
Dr.Robert