Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

Im not quite sure where I am on my questions, I have asked

Customer Question

I'm not quite sure where I am on my questions, I have asked one and had the answer, I now have a second question on the same related subject. (I tried to send it already but I don't think it went through). I will repeat what I said before - I have had six RT sessions over three weeks finishing 27 March. I saw the oncologist on Wednesday 21st May. I told him that my tumour was still there, I could feel it,I don't think the RT had had any effect. I still have trouble swallowing and sometimes my oesophagous get blocked up compltely and I can not even drink water. He wants to put a stent in which I feel is not tackling the problem but side-stepping it, it would open my oesophagus and "hide" the tumour which wouold still be there and, presiumably, continue to grow. The cancel which would remain could spread to other parts of my body. I think Chemo would be the answer,but he does not want to use it. I think it is because he thinks I am too old for that. I am very fit and healthy, do workouts every day and twenty minute walks. I am just into my 90th year but I feel like I did ten years or more ago. The alternative treatment, I understand, would be to lower the "instrument" down my gullet to position it opposite the tumour and so give the RT right into the cancer. Do you think this is a good idea? Also, what do you think of Chemo at my age, would there be a problem in repairing the good cells that were destroyed by the Chemo while it was destroying the bad (cancerous) cells?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
Hello there. Its great that you are healthy at 90. Im so sorry that you have this diagnosis.

Chemotherapy combined with radiation can be more effective in palliating the symptoms of esophageal cancer. Unfortunately if you are not a candidate for surgery, it will not possible to cure it at this stage.

There are side effects of doing both together and its harder on your body but it should be your choice. At your age, there is the chance that you could die from a complication due to the chemotherapy.

Its likely not worth pursuing alternate forms of radiation. Using the stent is a temporary measure to keep the esophagus open until the radiation and chemo can work.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your comment. I'm not quite sure what you mean by combined effect of RT and Chemo. I' ve had the RT, how would you mean "combining" them if I now go on, two mnths later, to have Chemo?

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
By combined effect I mean that the two work better together than one now and one later. That may not be an option for you though, due to your age, its very hard on your body I hope things go well for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, I think that answers my question alright

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
Ok Desmond. Good luck and come back any time you need more help.