Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Hello. My 11 year old son has asthma and a hacking cough

Hello.

My 11 year old son has asthma and a hacking cough , 3 years ago he had ITP.

He contracted it again and was given haemoglobin .

After returning hone he was violently sick and had a terrible headache .
We returned to hospital and was sent home again after 24 hours and a brain scan.

Can haemoglobin bring on the headache and sickness.

Thank you. david Walter
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. I am so sorry to hear about problem of your son.

Well, ITP is a condition, in which the immune system destroys platelets. The main function of platelets is to prevent bleeding.

Recurrence of ITP is usually associated with viral infection or after a flu. So, you child, has again suffered with ITP.
Good to hear, that he has already been given hemoglobin.

Some of the common side effects after given such treatment are-
headaches, fever, and nausea. In most cases usually in 2-3 days such symptoms get disappear.

You can give your child acetaminophen (Tylenol) to relieve his headache and/or fever. Also you can give him dimenhydrinate (Gravol) to treat nausea and vomiting.
Yes, it is common to have such side effects after this treatment.
No need to get panic.

Please follow symptomatic treatment, and it would get resolve by itself in next 2-3 days.

Reference- http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/idiopathic-thrombocytopenic-purpura/basics/definition/con-20034239

Good luck and Take care.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.