Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I am pregnant by 3 weeks or so an fear I have been taking too

I am pregnant by 3 weeks or so an fear I have been taking too much vitamin a in my diet which can be harmful for my baby. I am really worried, is there anything I can do to detoxify my system besides stopping vitamin supplements and cod liver oil?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--exactly how much vitamin A and cod liver oil have you been taking and for how long?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

400 ug in the cod liver oil, I have been taking it on and off for past couple of days but also ive taken vitamin tablets which contained 800uj of it

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK--really nothing to worry about here since the total amount of vitamin A you've been taking daily doesn't exceed the 10,000 IU limit for pregnant women. You should also know that the possible damage to the fetus from overdosing of vitamin A has only been reported in a small number of cases. For now I'd suggest stopping the cod liver oil and seeing a gynecologist for an exam and for a prescription for prenatal vitamins
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks for your response, in addition one a couple of days I ate a lot of veg in my diet such as carrots kale and broccoli which may have exceeded the limit. I have read vitamin e is useful in detoxifying is this true? I am just worried about my baby.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I understand your concern but really you don't have anything to detox right now and it would be very difficult to reach a truly toxic level of vitamin A just with diet/foods alone. Don't take any vitamin E for now and in general you should let a doctor direct your vitamin and supplement intake instead of doing it yourself. Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you