Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Do antibiotics effect the immune system. YS Alan Dixon

Customer Question

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

usually antibiotics help the immune system fight off infections.

Dr. David :

and usually they help decrease inflammation.

Dr. David :

antibiotics will not suppress your immune system to allow cancer cells to spread.

Dr. David :

antibiotics are used in cancer patients all the time.

Customer:

What activates the cancer cells, I understand it is broken tissue like an open ulcer, can a covered ulcer cause the cancer cells to activate

Dr. David :

surgery can activate cancer cells if the whole cancer is not properly cut out.

Dr. David :

if part of the cancer is cut into, the cytokines and interleukins which are released can active cancer cells.

Dr. David :

that is why surgery has to cut out the whole cancer when surgery is done.

Customer:

Can Prontoprazal and other proton pumps when taken with antibiotics completely cure the ulcer or will the treatment just cover the ulcer and so create a situation where the ulcer will need more treatment in the future or the possibility that the ulcer will become infected by bacteria or helicabacta pylori (if the helecabacta was not completely eradicated.

Dr. David : If you have a h pylori infection, a proton pump Inhibitor and antibiotics will help cure the ulcer
Dr. David : it will not just cover it up
Dr. David : You also have to change your diet and avoid spicy and fatty foods to help the ulcer heal
Customer:

Thankyou I very much appreciate your answers. At present I am in a dilemma I have some pain from the stomach (maybe an old ulcer) but when I take Pantaprazole the pain goes away for some time. I have HB Pylori is it reasonable to carry on with just the panoprazole when needed? or is it better to take antibiotics. I am reluctant to take the antibiotics because I have bad digestion and this may be affected for the worse.

Dr. David :

if you have a H Pylori diagnosis, you need triple therapy

Dr. David :

of a proton pump inhibitor like pantoprazole

Dr. David :

and 2 antibiotics

Dr. David :

like amoxicilllin and clarithromycin

Dr. David :

it is best to take the 2 antibiotics.

Dr. David :

to kill off the H Pylori bacteria

Dr. David :

you should also take yogurt and probiotics daily while on antibiotics to help prevent diarrhea and digestion problems.

Dr. David :

you don't want the H Pylori bacteria to continue or else it will cause an ulcer in your stomach

Customer:

If the antibiotics do not work will that leave the HB Pylori stronger and more difficult to kill by use of natural or herbal medicine. I may not want to take antibiotics twice.

Dr. David :

there are many different course of antibiotics which can be used to treat H Pylori.

Dr. David :

if the first 2 combined with protonix doesn't work.

Dr. David :

there are other antibiotic combinations which can be used as a second line treatment.

Dr. David :

if you don't take antibiotics, you allow the H Pylori to continue to live in your stomach.

Dr. David :

does that make sense?

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

Thankyou again

Dr. David :

you are welcome

Dr. David :

if done, please leave positive feedback below the chat box

Dr. David :

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

Dr. David :

you might have to scroll down to see the ratings area below

Dr. David :

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Dr. David :

is my website if you need to reach me again.

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Dr. David :

do you see the ratings area below?

Dr. David :

hello?

Customer:

Yes I do, I am not sure of the system, how many questions am I allowed for my 1st credit that I sent?

Customer:

I have one more question

Dr. David :

what question do you have?

Customer:

If I take antibiotics and I already have some active cancer cells present will the antibiotics you mentioned previously be effective in eradicating these cells. I say this because I was monitored on a machine (measures frequencies of organisms in the body) by a doctor who is a friend and there were active cancer cells diagnosed. He cleared these cells but there is a chance that they have returned due to some inflamation in my stomach.

Dr. David :

no, antibiotics will not usually eradicating cancer cells.

Dr. David :

I am not sure what this machine is which measures frequencies of organisms in the body.

Dr. David :

I am a cancer doctor

Dr. David :

this is not how we diagnose cancer cells in the body.

Dr. David :

I would be very skeptical of a doctor friend who says he can diagnose and monitor cancer cells in the body with a machine which measures frequencies.

Customer:

Is there another way to have them analysed

Dr. David :

you can see a doctor and get scans of your body

Dr. David :

like CT scans or PET scans.

Dr. David :

but I don't think you have cancer in your body.

Dr. David :

are you paying him to "clear these cells out"

Dr. David :

this sounds very suspicious. and not real medicine.

Customer:

No I am not paying. He works for the Russian Government and through this machine he has reduced tumors in patients and cured colitis.

Dr. David :

I see.

Dr. David :

this is definitely not a tested machine

Dr. David :

and I'm not sure how much testing it has had done in the UK or the USA.

Dr. David :

it does not sound like conventional medicine.

Dr. David :

and I would be very skeptical of it being able to detect cancer cells in the body.

Customer:

I am feeling quite healthy and the digestive system has never been better so I feel reluctant to change anything at the moment but just see how I go on in July I go back to Russia and I can have another check up on the machine, however I am feeling less enthusiastic to do this as you say I have no way of knowing how effective it is. The reason I do not want to take antibiotics is because it has taken me 20yrs of ayur vedic medicine to get my health better and antibiotics may cause more problems. So I am contemplating taking Herbal medicine as aprecausion agains the HB pylori and cancer, what is your opinion

Dr. David :

first of all you don't know what type of cancer cells you have.

Dr. David :

you have not had a biopsy

Dr. David :

this is not a standard diagnosis for cancer

Dr. David :

and you are not getting regular cancer treatments.

Dr. David :

herbal medication is not well studies against H Pylori or cancer

Dr. David :

so I am not sure how you would know if the herbal medicaiton is working or not working.

Dr. David :

if you do have pain in your stomach and a conventional doctor did diagnose you as having H Pylori from either blood tests or stool antigen testing or if you had an upper endoscopy scope to look down into your stomach, you need that treated with protonix and 2 antibiotics.

Dr. David :

to allow your H Pylori to continue would increase your risks for the bacteria to eat into your stomach and cause a stomach ulcer.

Dr. David :

herbal medication will not cure H Pylori.

Customer:

I have the two antibiotics you mentioned and prantoprazole on prescription is this the same as protonix

Customer:

I have just started taking the antibiotics due to your guidance.

Dr. David :

good idea.

Dr. David :

make sure you eat yogurt everyday.

Dr. David :

yogurt daily can help prevent diarrhea caused by antibiotics.

Dr. David :

and you should get confirmation testing for H Pylori a few weeks after your antibiotics and protonix combination

Dr. David :

to make sure the H Pylori bacteria is gone

Dr. David :

good luck to you

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

if done, please leave positive feedback below.

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Customer:

Thankyou so much for your help and excellent advice,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dr David I am now taking the antibiotics with pantoprazole. The day before I started I took 20mg of rabprazole (pariet), will this effect the medicine I am taking now.

I am taking the antibiotics after a meal and both together and I take the Pantoprazole seperately is this okay.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
The active ingredient in Aciphex is rabeprazole sodium, a substituted benzimidazole that inhibits gastric acid secretion

this will not affect your pantoprazole and your H Pylori treatment.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thankyou, and the way I take them is okay?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
yes, it is fine to take the antibiotics after a meal

the pantoprazole should be taken 30-60 mintues before a meal.