DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I ma obese and have been for about 6 years. I have

Customer Question

I ma obese and have been for about 6 years.

I have chronic soft stools starting from before November 2013. I got my blood tests done in November and they came back normal for everything, it was mostly things like thyroid, diabetes, anemia, and so on being tested.

At some time in 2013, I don't remember when, I started also to get twitches (fasciculations general throughout the body from time to time). I put the muscle twitches down to stress and they are undiagnosed.

My stools have varied since November but they are much more soft than they were before last year, on average (most often soft, less often watery but mostly not the good hard stools of old). I am an anxious person by nature and Have had some stressful working conditions since the beginning of 2014.

I noticed in the most recent three weeks that I seemed to get palpitations a little more often, but on most occasions shortly after drinking significant amount of coca cola and tea. I went to my GP due to the palpitations and the GP advised cut out the coke, took an ECG and advised come back in four weeks and get new set of bloods done in the meantime with some extra bloodwork including iron deficiency and B12.

I will have to wait at least a week before the bloods come back.About five days ago I started to get tingling/pins and needles in both feet and hands and numbness in my tongue, stronger in the hands and particularly in the right hand. On the second day I attended the A and E of a local hospital as I was concerned about the pins and needles.The triage Nurse did another ECG, and tested temperature and blood pressure. As usual ECG was normal, blood pressure normal. I did not wait for the hospital doctor because it was a 6 hour wait, but saw my GP the next day.

I wasnt feeling loss of sensation the day I saw the GP in my hands and feet but the Doctor did a series of physical tests and said she saw no signs of Neurological issues.The next day however instead of just pins and needles I started to feel numbness in the right hand. I woke up today with slight loss of sensation or numbness (like when you sleep on your arm) that has lasted all day in both hands.

About three weeks ago I started a 'fasting diet' where on some days you consume about 600 calories, but I might have done it a little too often. I am not sure whether to just wait for the blood tests to come back or whether I should see a doctor again, the GP told me to wait two weeks and if the symptoms do not go away to come back to her.What do you advise?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
New symptoms...go back in.
And exam is not valid unless all symptoms are checked.
In addition you need to arrange for a holter monitor, which watches your heart for two days, at home, sleeping, etc.

Yes, it can all be anxiety, but you need to rule out heart problems.

In addition, thyroid, B vitamin levels, all routine labs, those should be done.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].