Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have awful pain in my right hand and arm it takes my breath

I have awful pain in my right hand and arm it takes my breath away it last for about 10minue it so painful i am unable to move my arm or hand i have had 6 operation on my hand,, would you know what this could be with in 7 years last last operation was 2013 . the pain is from the elbow down and the hand would you know what the pain is I have had it happen a few time
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--what part of the hand and arm? How long has this been going on? What operations have you had on the hand?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had a car accident 7 years ago I have had 6 operation on my hand I am unable to make a fist I have very little movement though I tried moving it as much as i can ,. I started geting pain from my elbow down to my hand It takes my breath away I am in so much pain I am unable to move my arm or hand it last for about 10 min it has happend a few times i can not move with such awful pain would you know what this could be and what do you thin I can do ? I look forward hearing from you Jackie

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Jackie--just a little more information please--which fingers of your hand are involved with this pain?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

all of them as I am able to bend them All my metel carpel where smash in a car accident some drove into my car I had my car window open my car turned over my hand went out of the window

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

all my fingers

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Jackie. There are two possibilities here and the problem may be a combination of the two. One would be a nerve entrapment at the elbow and the other would be reflex sympathetic dystrophy which is a nerve inflammation/neuropathy problem that often develops after trauma or injury. What you need for starters is an MRI of the elbow, forearm and hand (or a ct scan) and nerve conduction studies by a neurologist. After that, depending on the problem, you might need a nerve release operation at the elbow or you might instead need to see a physiatrist--a physical medicine and rehabilitation MD specialist--for a customized treatment program.