Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a wart on my top inner leg that has become hard red

I have a wart on my top inner leg that has become hard red - white top and the area around it is sore - what should I do
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Over what period of time has this wart changed?
Can you attach a picture of the lesion (using the icon on the toolbar that looks like a paper clip)?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

photo.JPG

it has become inflamed over the last 3 days

I'm sorry, but the picture did not come through. Could you try it again?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That picture came across.

This lesion actually looks more like a skin tag, rather than a wart. When I try to magnify the image, it is apparently a low resolution image, but it appears to be a skin tag. A skin tag is only a heaped up collection of skin tissue. The redness also appears to be more irritation rather than infection. A lesion on the upper thigh can get irritated by rubbing, either from clothing or with the other thigh.

If it is only irritation and not infection, as it appears most likely from this image, then it will typically improve with supportive care, such as the cleansing that you have been doing, along with protection to avoid further rubbing against clothing or the other thigh. The protection can usually be done with a bandage, although it usually needs to have more substance than a simple bandaid. Covering the lesion with a gauze pad and taping it in place is generally sufficient.

For long term management, there is usually no treatment needed for a skin tag, unless it becomes bothersome on a regular basis. If this occurs, your doctor can easily remove it quickly in the office.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.