Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

For many years have had arthritis in right knee, and on 2 occasions

For many years have had arthritis in right knee, and on 2 occasions have attended A & E to have knee drained (1 time 80cc fluid removed) Always extrme pain, but better after drain. For two days and nights now have had swollen whole leg, pain at night extreme and little or no sleep. Movement during day yesterday eased pain, but very bad again on going to bed last night. This morning wjole leg very swollen and severe pain, particularly in calf and behind knee. This is NOT similar to knee problem in the past. Should I worry?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, these symptoms should cause some concern as there is a potentially serious problem that could cause these symptoms. When a person has swelling of one leg associated with pain in the calf and behind the knee, one of the possible causes is the formation of a blood clot in an inflamed vein in the thigh or behind the knee, called deep venous thrombophlebitis (or DVT). A blood clot in the thigh or behind the knee also may break off and travel to the lung, which is potentially life threatening.

There are other possible causes of such symptoms, so it is not absolutely true that you will be found to have DVT, but the symptoms that you describe are worrisome, so it would be appropriate to be checked.

Therefore, yes, this is a reason for worry and it would be appropriate for you to be seen urgently.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.