Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

good morning, Just hoping for a quick bit of advice. My daughter

Customer Question

good morning,
Just hoping for a quick bit of advice. My daughter has just turned 8. we tend to plot our children's height each birthday. We noticed that she had dropped from 90th centile in height to 75th in 1 yr. she has always been around 90th. She is otherwise well and 50% centile approx for weight. Just wondered if these fluctuations were normal? should we be concerned? thanks
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

Yes, some amount of fluctuation is normal. The growth curves portray growth as being a smooth curve, and it is for a population average, but it is common for children to grow in spurts, so a measurement done during a growth spurt will tend to be higher on the percentile chart, while one done not in a spurt will tend to be slightly lower on percentile chart. Single measurements that are a slight variation on the overall curve is generally not a concern, particularly if there are no other associated symptoms. Overall trends over time are better for analysis and are potentially more of a concern than single measurements.

So, at this point, there is no reason for concern. There also is no reason to arrange an appointment with her doctor other than to keep her regular check-ups, and her doctor will assess her overall growth curve at that time.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thats great, many thanks

You're welcome. I'm glad I could be of assistance.

If I have answered all of your questions, please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.