Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi Im a 29 male and have not had any contact with any1

Hi I'm a 29 male and have not had any sexual contact with any1 but my g/f and she also has had no contact with any1 but me she had a test in feb and came bk negative and had another 3 months later which is positive as we have not slept or done anything with any1 is it possible that either of us has had a weak strain of it laying dorment in our body for years and not infected each other till now as I no none of us has cheated thanks
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
What test was negative in Feb and positive now?
Do you have the actual numeric result?
What was the reason for rechecking the test?
How long have the two of you been in a committed relationship?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We have been together for over 10 years and she had to b checked again due to symtoms coming up and came bk positive this time I believe she has not cheated and not have I we are always together my doctor said i could of been carrying a weak strain for years and its been laying silently in my body since and can take upto 20 years to come out as Iv never passed this on before and I still don't have no stmtoms thanks

Do you have the actual numeric result?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Iv never been tested and she had a swab done

Was it a swab test both in Feb and recently?
What germ was the swab test positive for?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

chlymidoa came positive and yes both was swab I just wanna no if I could have beee carrying all these years and not passed it on till now as Iv never been tested

Thank you for the additional information.

I ask about the specific germ and testing method because different germs have different methods of causing infection and different detection tests.

Yes, chlamydia can be present without causing an infection. In studies done in the US, testing young adults with no symptoms will demonstrate the presence of chlamydia in about 25% of people tested. It is impossible to perform a study that will detect how long the germ will remain present, since we routinely treat the germ whenever it is detected. However, the current thinking is that the germ can remain present without causing an infection for long periods of time, including 10 years or more.

I will also note that the swab method for detection of chlamydia is quite good, but it is not perfect. So it is also possible that the chlamydia was present in your girlfriend in Feb and was simply missed by the swab collection method. Since that is also possible, that also means that either of you could have harboured the germ for the 10 years of the relationship to this point.

So, yes, the chlamydia could have been present in either (or both) of you for this period of time. The fact that it was only recently detected does not prove that either of you cheated on the other.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi sorry but what I wanted to no was could I have had it all these years but not infected her till now thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You replied

25 May 2014 10:44EST

I'm sorry for the delay, but I was away from the computer.

As I said above, you can't know that she was only recently infected. However, yes, it is possible that it could have been present for this length of time and she had not yet been infected.