Dr Mask
Dr Mask, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS with 06 years Clinical Exposure in Surgery & Internal Medicine
27212923

my daughter does gymnastics and has a sore knee cap. the pain

my daughter does gymnastics and has a sore knee cap. the pain is in the middle of the knee cap which is slightly swollen. it is sore when she walks up stairs. she has been putting ice on it.
can you help
Expert:  Dr Mask replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Justanswer

I would need some additional information for helping you plan the optimal course of action

1. Has she been examined by a doctor? If yes, then, were there any investigations done? and what diagnosis or advise was offered?

2. The location of pain is just below the knee cap in the middle?

3. Are there any activities or action that improve or aggravate the pain ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no she has not been to a doctor but gran is a physiotherapist so she was looking at it,

the pain is just on the bottom of the knee cap.

it is sore when she does her gymnastics and lands on it

Expert:  Dr Mask replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information and for your patience :)

Considering her age,sex and her lifestyle the possible causes for this pain can be Osgood Schlatter’s disease, chondromalacia patellae or Patellar tendonitis.

The thing common for these conditions is inflammation specially in her chosen sports.

The treatment is pretty much similar i.e. use of NSAIDS (non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs) like Ibuprofen or panadol, icing, rest and elevation.

It would be ideal to go for complete rest for 3 - 4 weeks however if that is not possible due to her schedule then a decrease in activity/activity not involving strenuous exercise would be advisable besides a proper warm up before each session, session being smaller, proper cool down period along side a proper rest before the next and a good physiotherapist who can help with taping of the knee cap if required.

Hope this helped you understand the situation :)

If satisfied please do remember to click on Positive Rating (Preferably number 5 please) If you need further clarification please do let me know instead of any rating.

Warm regards
Dr MASK