Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

If I have had lots of problems with drugs and 4 weeks ago i

If I have had lots of problems with drugs and 4 weeks ago i went to hospital from overdose I can claim for help financially as cant work due to my addiction and recovery?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Yes, you can qualify for disability if you have a medical disorder due to your drug use and/or the recovery process. These include depression, anxiety and other illnesses You cannot be certified solely on the basis of addiction as a reason for not working.

Here is a link to the guidelines and the illnesses under which you would qualify. If you are being treated for any of these you may be able to get help.

http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/social-security-disability-drug-addiction.html
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can i claim ESA (Employment and support allowance) instead of JSA (job seekers allowance)?

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
Yes you can. You will have to go for a work capability assessment while your application is pending.