Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I am suffering from Vagus nerve problems associated with Atrial

I am suffering from Vagus nerve problems associated with Atrial Fibrilation one year ago. The ongoing symptoms are feeling sick and pain/feeling in my stomach which becomes worse when wind in my system appears to bloat my stomach resulting in the symptoms. The advanced symptoms result in a feeling of imminent passing out and the indications I am able to identify enable me to take care in my eating habits. For instance for some time now I have had to resort to fruit only because other foods give me recurrent symptoms which indicate again the stomach problems above. Even with fruit only - when I have eaten - the problem can exist. I have to eliminate foods that have Tyramine in them - when I ceased taking food with Tyramine in it the Atrial Fibrilation ceased.

Complex I know but I am suffering continuously and need help.

Jane
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JA question and answer
What is your question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have laid out my circumstances above - what else do you need to know?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
I understand the circumstances.
What is your question about them...we are not here to diagnose or treat you, but to answer your medical questions
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I laid out the problem as in this case and all I have received is an email from Dr Thomas which does not offer anything other than what else do I need to ask. I believed that setting out my problems would result in an answer from a doctor that would have beneficial advise - why else would I need to ask anything else. Surely we are looking for a service that can indicate/advise relevant procedures to treat my problem. Janee
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--I'm a different expert and let me see if I can help here. Have you had any tests or studies specifically directed at the stomach problems you mentioned?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have discussed this with my doctor but other than prescribing Omprazole which has not worked - nothing else.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK--just one other question then--can you describe in detail the stomach symptoms and how often do they occur and how long do they last?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is uncomfortable most of the time but usually starts after eating - however the symptoms can continue through the night. They really last variable times all day usually1 hour but can continue through the evening.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK--and we can continue after this if you'd like. First off you need to see a gastroenterologist for a workup for this. I would screen you for H pylori--the so-called ulcer bug that you can have even without having an ulcer. You also need upper endoscopy to look for gastritis and for that possible ulcer. Another possibility is gastroparesis--slow emptying of the stomach--so I would also do a gastric emptying study. Finally you might have a pancreatic insufficiency problem and you may even have chronic pancreatitis so those possibilities need to be considered and looked for. Once the actual problem is found and treated it will stop the symptoms of discomfort and bloating and it should solve the vagus nerve problem you have. You need to discuss all this with your doctor
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.